Xinja is building an Australian, independent 100% digital bank designed entirely for mobile. We are building a business with our customers and designed in their interests. Neobanking will disrupt the existing banking model and create a whole new generation of experiences.
Now…let’s talk about you:
This role reports directly to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) of Xinja. Our CRO reports to the CEO and Board. The role is critical in supporting the CRO with respect to all elements of our credit risk management framework.
This is a challenging and exciting role, with direct accountability and nowhere to hide. This role will suit someone who believes in Xinja’s mission to revolutionise banking in Australia, and who is prepared to roll up their sleeves and deliver every day.
Attention to detail and a very high standard of work are obligatory to be successful.
This role will act in an advisory and oversight capacity, with responsibility for ensuring that the strategic direction of Xinja is considered in all credit risk activities and that optimal risk outcomes are delivered via coordination with internal and external stakeholders.
The role is responsible for developing Xinja’s credit journey ensuring that the application process is digitally enabled and market-leading. It will maintain a proactive involvement in the development of credit proposal rating and scoring systems, working closely with a range of stakeholders to achieve mutually acceptable outcomes within the credit risk framework, whilst developing appropriate mechanisms for monitoring performance and reporting.
The role will offer thought leadership on the wider credit market and enable Xinja to learn from other markets and emerging credit modelling methodologies and practices to ensure best in class application processes.
The role will lead a small team acting as the conduit for analysis and reporting, ensuring that all reporting is completed accurately and on a timely basis.
Our 10 golden rules
To be successful at Xinja you are going to need to be happy working with our 10 golden rules
- No dickheads… However good they may be. No dress code, but sometimes you need to look smart 🙂 . No power trips because of a hierarchy. Intellect, customer experience and implementation is all that matters.
- Everything is in the cloud.
- We use real time data to evaluate our business and we reward staff on a quarterly basis with an entirely discretionary profit share. No one gets a share of the profit if our investors aren’t making money and our customers aren’t happy.
- We are here to make money, that’s why we exist, and we don’t screw people over to do it. We don’t lie to our clients in person or in marketing. We don’t engage in immoral lending; if our grandmother would think it was wrong, then it is. We aim to make lots of money ethically and we are proud of it.
- No one is entitled to work at Xinja. It is a huge honour to represent people’s hopes of a new bank and we earn that honour every day.
- We look after our people bloody well. We stand by them if they are in genuine need.
- We are truthful and direct with each other. Everyone says what they think in a robust, challenging, edgy environment. That means we won’t be the right place for everyone to work, and that’s ok.
- We only hire people better than us. We never, ever settle because we need a body. We do psychometric testing to get the best people, every time.
- About half our team, executive and board will be female, if they aren’t we aren’t recruiting the best people. We actively seek all types of diversity combined with brilliance.
- If you discriminate against someone because of who they love/sleep with, you’re a dickhead… Please see rule 1.
Day to day, you’ll:
- Leading the credit risk function within the business whilst contributing to the development of management processes to further embed Xinja’s risk culture.
- Developing Xinja’s digital credit journey to ensure that the application process is digitally enabled and market leading.
- Ensuring a holistic view of credit and underwriting policy is developed and maintained.
- Driving data-oriented approaches for the collection and utilisation of data to optimise performance.
- Advising the business on credit risk management and promoting a robust culture of active risk management.
- Producing and maintaining risk policies and procedures, training programs and risk relevant data to inform decision making.
- Producing and providing risk reporting for senior management, risk related committees and the board.
You should apply if:
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated and goal-oriented
- Strong situational leadership skills
- Ability to create and maintain business relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Have a well-developed knowledge of financial services legislation and an ability to communicate that knowledge effectively
- Have a strong understanding of all appropriate risk & compliance policies, procedures and processes related to operating as a retail bank
- Have an in-depth knowledge of business products and Xinjas’ value proposition
- Ability to meet deadlines, make independent decisions and utilise sound judgement
- Demonstrate professionalism, courage and trustworthiness
- Be a productive member of the Xinja team and strengthen our culture. Live our golden rules.
- Ability to interact with regulators (ASIC, APRA. AUSTRAC and RBA)
- MUST have 7+ years credit risk management experience across the full life cycle and all functions (policy / strategy / modelling etc)
- MUST have significant statistical and risk modelling skills
- MUST be degree qualified e.g. Law, Commerce, Economics, Business or similar
- MUST have passion, drive, plenty of ticker and a can do attitude.
- MUST be autonomous yet can work in a team (an amazing one at that)
- NICE to have is IT and / or project risk experience
A new frontier:
- At Xinja, we believe in embedding the brand in every customer experience, and therefore marketing is core to what we do. Developing the best neobank in the country is an exciting and challenging task. Our ethos is based on a win-win with our customers; if they do well, so do we.
- We believe it’s time Australians had access to the kind of technology that just allows them to get a lot more out of their money, with less angst. We are for profit and for purpose.
- We extend that attitude to our people and our partners. We have an inclusive and diverse culture where we look after our staff, and trust them with significant responsibility, but support them well. This is a great opportunity to be part of building a great company, and a fabulous brand, AND learn heaps along the way.
If you’re up for this:
Please email your CV to [email protected]
And check out the hiring process we go thru here
Download the full job description here